Saturday, February 14, 2009

Marissa's Latest




This is my latest piece, an untitled watercolor on paper. The text is based on a dream I had about James Brown a year or so ago. The dream was so vivid I couldn't get it out of my head, so I wrote it down, saved it and figured I'd know what to do with it when the time came.

I wanted this piece to have the random, sort of meandering feel of a dream: a blend of all these elements of waking life and the subconscious. I saw James in a white suit, so I built the composition around that image. I left the background white so that the figure and text would stand out. I chose to make the text colorful (almost every letter is a different color) so that it would pop, and also to bring a lightheartedness to what reads as a rather sad experience. I always try to capture a mixture of joy and pain in my work, because life is a mixture of both.

No comments: